1. What can I bring to the facility?
  2. Where are you located?
  3. Do you accept latex paint?
  4. When are you open?
  5. Is there anything not allowed at your facility?
  6. Is there a cost associated with the program?
  7. Do you accept farm and agricultural wastes?
  8. How should the materials be contained and brought in?

What can I bring to the facility?

Some of the most common items brought here include
  • Pesticides
  • Paint, stains and varnish
  • Oil and Oil filters
  • Fluorescent light bulbs, including CFL's
  • Batteries
  • Electronic Waste
  • Some medications (see Medication Collection Page)
  • Aerosol Cans
  • Automotive fluids and antifreeze
  • Cleaners
  • Sharps
  • Mercury thermometers
  • Freon and Freon containing appliances are accepted for a fee
For a more comprehensive list, please see our brochure.

Back to Top

Where are you located?

6502 State Road 16

The HHM facility is located at the La Crosse County Landfill Complex. Take State Road 16 East towards West Salem. Facility is approximately 1/2 mile East of Interstate 90. Located on the south side of State Road 16. View Map Here

Back to Top

Do you accept latex paint?

Yes we accept latex paint with no fee for La Crosse County residents. Because latex paint contains no hazardous chemicals, it can also be dried and placed in your regular trash.

Back to Top

When are you open?

    Monday: 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM & Thursday: 9:00 AM - Noon (call 785-9999 for an appointment)
    Tuesday: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Wednesday: 10:30 AM - 6:00 PM & Thursday Noon - 4:00 PM (no appointment needed)


    1st & 3rd Saturday 9:00 AM - Noon (no appointment needed)

Back to Top

Is there anything not allowed at your facility?

We do not accept:
  • Radioactive material
  • Explosives
  • Ammunition

Back to Top

Is there a cost associated with your program?

The HHM program, accept for appliances, is free of charge to La Crosse County residents and available at a minimum fee for out of county residents. Some Ag waste is treated differently. See the next question.

Back to Top

Do you accept farm and agricultural wastes?

Yes, with some limitations. The HHM program is designed to accept wastes from family farms. It is often difficult to draw the line between a family farm and a large corporate farm and an agribusiness. HHM's poolicy is as follows.
The first 200 pounds of waste from a farm is free.
After 200 pounds the generator is considered an agribusiness and the generator will be charged at 1/2 the reate for a VSQG (se the Business page).

Non-farm agribusiness will be charged, 1/2 th VSQG rate, for all their waste.

Call 608-785-9999 with questions.

Back to Top

How should the materials be contained and brought in?

  1. If possible, bring items in their original containers, or clearly mark contents on container.  If you do not know what is in the container, tell the attendant.
  2. Tighten all covers and lids. 
  3. NEVER MIX CHEMICALS! They may be fine separately, but together they could produce toxic fumes, heat, cause a fire or explosion.
  4. If container is leaking, pack it separately it in a leak-proof container (i.e. pail or tub), with absorbent material in the bottom.
  5. To ensure passenger safety, materials should not be loaded into the passenger compartment of a vehicle.
  6. Put waste containers, upright, in a sturdy container and place them securely in the trunk or back of a truck or van.
  7. Do not put different types of materials into a plastic bag. 
  8. Read and follow all directions when you arrive at the Household Hazardous Materials Facility.
  9. If you have any questions about the best way to transport a material call 608-785-999 before you visit.

Back to Top

Copyright 2006, La Crosse County Household Hazardous Waste Program. All rights reserved.